Somebody mentioned splades in my spork post, and I found a site that explained them with this simple diagram. I guess it's a British and Australian thing, because I've never seen them in the US.


Anonymous said...

Here's a little complementary information.

First, I wouldn't take the "lightly serrated" claim too seriously, because typically they're not. It's true that the edges of a splade are shaped with cutting in mind, up to a point, but what we're talking about here is the cutting power you need to dissect a soggy noodle. (Even that would be rather awkward with the thick, upturned, rounded edges of a typical spork.)

Second, you may wonder what sort of food a splade is typically used to eat. Well, in my childhood splades were closely associated with spaghetti bolognaise. You've got a scoop for holding the sauce, prongs for picking up the spaghetti, and the edges are available should you wish to keep the spaghetti down to size. It's been quite a few years since I last ate with a splade at all, though.

Margaret Larkin said...

Thanks for that info!

Jason Coleman said...

Splades make excellent travel utensils, assuming you can find one. They are few and far between in the U.S. If you have a friend going down under, have them bring you back a few.

Margaret Larkin said...

Or better yet, I can get one if I go there--I've never been to Australia and would love to go!